Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Kaitlyn and I put up the Christas tree tonight. I expect that we'll put up a bigger tree in the new house, but I thought it would be fun to have this one to look at for the time being. This 18 inch fiber optic tree is one of the ugliest Christmas trees I've ever seen. One side is hopelessly smashed and the top is crooked. It only has room to hold, literally, a handful of ornaments. While I was getting the tree ready, Kaitlyn stood backed and smiled. She kept saying over and over "It's so pretty momma"! She was thrilled at the lights and so proud to have a tree.

I had been inwardly laughing at this pathetic little display because it didn't match my ideal. What Kaitlyn's amazement showed me was that it isn't the size of the tree, the number of lights or the cost of the ornaments. Christmas is all about the spirit that each of us holds inside us. It's the longing to have loved ones close to us and to make new, special memories. Christmas isn't about the number of presents or the dollars that they cost. Christmas is about love. In celebrating God's gift of love for us we, in turn, give gifts to others. A season that originated in love continues to have love as the central theme.

I'm so thankful that we got to share this moment. Kaitlyn's childish amazement reminded me not to get caught up in the hype, but to appreciate each moment as it comes. I love the holidays and I can't wait to share them with my family and friends!!!!!

No comments: