Tuesday, November 22, 2005


We've got her!!!! She's a beautiful, perfect, baby girl with stubborn streak and a knack for entertainment. Hmm...sounds like this could be an interesting ride!

We arrived at the hotel at 3:00 p.m. and were told that the FengCheng babies would be here at 4:00 p.m. We had an hour to get everything prepared for their arrival. Oddly enough, the babies arrived before our luggage, so the only thing I had for Kaitlyn was what was in the diaper bag. Luckily, I'd packed a couple of small toys in there.

When the nannies brought the babies in, it was sheer chaos. New mommas and daddies were crying and videotaping. Some babies were crying and some were just kind of taking it all in. For the first few minutes Larry was taping the wrong baby! Eventually, I realized that Kaitlyn and her nanny were standing right beside me. The nanny said it was ok for me to talk to her so I did. She latched on to my finger and was holding it when I heard someone call "Branch!". The nanny handed her to me and the tears came quickly. Kaitlyn was so serene through the entire process. She looked at me and never made a sound. Her look was expressionless and I realized that on some level she knew exactly what was going on. We brought her back to the room and the first order of business was to peel off the layers of clothing. Underneath her heavy outer pants she was wearing "split pants" and a diaper. The diaper was only partially on and it was coming out the back of the pants. While I held her Larry pulled off her diaper. As he did, Kaitlyn began peeing. My sweatshirt and pants bore the brunt of the accident. My plan was to eventually give her a bath this evening, I just hadn't planned on doing it so soon. By this point, Kaitlyn was working up to a cry. She sniffled a couple of times and let out a half cry as I sat her in the sink for her first bath (first bath from me). The bath went well and she even played with a rubber ducky for a few minutes.

We dried her off and put a sleeper on her and her personality began to emerge. Kaitlyn's first report stated that she was a happy baby and that she laughed and smiled constantly. I was anxious to see this part of her. Larry had to go back to the lobby to complete some paperwork so that left the girls alone for a few minutes. By the time Larry came back, she had already begun devouring Cheerios and she showed the first hint of a smile.

At 7:00 p.m. we decided that we needed to have dinner. By that point, Kaitlyn was really showing us who she is. She kept our table and a couple of tables around us entertained. She bounced and smiled in her high chair the entire meal. Occassionally she would laugh and let out a shriek just to remind everyone that she was still in the room.

She fell asleep about 20 minutes ago in my arms. She's in the crib now sleeping peacefully. Larry is sawing logs in the bed and I think it's time that I joined both of them. It was a long day and we've got to be ready to head out tomorrow by 8:00 a.m.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers thus far. Today was wonderful...more than I could have ever imagined. Katilyn bonded with both of us readily. She's as happy when Larry holds her as she is when I hold her. That seems to be a trend with our group's babies. As you can imagine, this is a huge relieft to all the parents.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness...She is so adorable!!! I can't wait to hold her.

Amber

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!! There are so many emotions that I have felt since actually seeing this precious gift that we have waited so long to see. I can not emagine the feeling that you all have. Hurry home so we can spoil her!!
Nancy Holland

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
I am so happy for you and Larry (and especially Kaitlyn). You know the first thing Emily did when the doctor handed her to me was pee on me. It is a good sign!
Michelle Ziesmer

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Your mom gave me this blog and I have cried with every entry I've read. Your life is just now beginning!
Marla

Anonymous said...

She is absolutely beautiful... Give her a big hug for me. I can't wait for you to get home so I can hold her. Ellie is doing great and her and Dale have definately bonded. God's plan for the 3 of you has just began.
Blessings and love,
Dianne

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful babie girl. I'm so excited for you and I know your mom is about to go crazy waiting for you to get home. Hurry home so we can all see her. God Bless!
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Praise God for all your blessings, we are constantly praying for all 3 of you!! Can't wait to see you all and hold that sweet baby!! Praise the Lord for this moment! Love, Robert and Sue

Anonymous said...

She is so adorable! She looks like a very happy baby. Good luck to you both! (We've had our little girl for 2 months now.)

Dawn Congdon

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! SHE IS BEAUTIFUL. OF COURSE MAMA IS BESIDE HERSELF. BY THE WAY, YOU WRITE BEAUTIFULLY.

Diane Cook
LES

Anonymous said...

Your new daughter is adorable!!
Congratulations!!

We have a picture of my husband and daughter on our Gotcha Day and my hubby has the same look in his eyes and on his face as your husband does!!

Pure wonderment and bliss!!!:)
Holly (from Bethany)

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful! We are very happy for you both.

Anonymous said...

NicNee & Larry,
CONGRATULATIONS! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY. WE LOVE YOU AND WE'RE SO HAPPY FOR YOU. ( IF SOMETHING IS SPELLED WRONG- SORRY CAN'T SEE FOR THE TEARS)WHAT A WONDERFUL START TO THE THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY!WE PRAY FOR GOD'S CONTINUED BLESSING FOR YOUR FAMILY. WE LOVE YOU!!
LANNY & JANET

Anonymous said...

Just saw your pictures of all three of you all. I am so happy for you, your parents, Uncle Micah, and grandparents. God bless you all as you teach this little one to love the Lord. I know you have a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving season.
Love,
Mrs. Irene Peterson

Anonymous said...

Nikki & Larry - What a wonderful family picture! I'm so happy that you are all together now, what a wait it has been. I can see the wait was worth every minute! Can hardly wait for you to get home and we can all see her (and you guys too, of course!). Congrats to the new "mom & pop" and "grammie & grampie" and "uncle micah." What a truly wonderful Thanksgiving for the entire family!
Lots of love and hugz....
Bonnie & Gary

Anonymous said...

Dear Larry and Nikki,
I am so very happy for all three of you guys! Your daughter is lovely. God has blessed you in a special way. You and Larry have a wonderful journey ahead. I will be anxious to hear comments from the Grandparents. Keep in touch.

John

Anonymous said...

Larry, Nikki and Kaitlyn,
Congratulations! What a beautiful first family photo and amazing way to start this blessed season!

God Bless,
Teri

Anonymous said...

Steve, Andrew, and I are so excited for you both...what a Thanksgiving to remember. Each year when we celebrate Thanksgiving, we now have one more thing to be thankful for and we will forever remember this wonderful journey that you have taken.

Congratulations, see you ALL on the 30th.

Anonymous said...

OK, I have cried the entire time reading this thing. Perhaps I should close the office early and leave so I don't scare the patrons???? Just kidding! I am sooooooo happy for you guys! Can't wait for you to bring her in so she can play a little basketball with Aaron! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Donice :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, She's adorable, no matter what Adrienne says. Ha Ha
See you at Christmas.

Rhonda Oliver